We’re building an extraordinary organization that pioneers new forms of civic journalism and offers hope and optimism for the future of local news. To make that happen, we’re looking for an enterprising Vice President, Corporate Partnerships to lead and execute a strategy for our organization to become an important partner for companies to achieve their marketing and community relations goals.
You’ll be joining us at an exciting time in our development. In May 2020, we launched Cityside, an ambitious, nonprofit, mission-driven company that is fueling the growth of high-quality local journalism in Northern California. Prior to launching Cityside, over the past 11 years, we built Berkeleyside into a widely recognized, nationally lauded local news site. The Oaklandside, our first expansion, launched in June 2020. We’ll be launching in additional locations throughout Northern California in the future.
We’ve successfully partnered through sponsorships and advertising with hundreds of local businesses over many years, and are now expanding our focus to partnerships and sponsorships with larger companies.
Cityside’s lead funders are Google and the American Journalism Project.
What you’ll do
- Reporting to the CEO, lead a comprehensive, strategic corporate partnerships and sponsorships program
- Build and generate revenue from a broad range of Fortune 5000 companies
- Devise and implement a strategic plan to sell to companies in a cost-effective and time-efficient manner
- Forge strong and sustainable relationships with potential targets and existing customers
- Build and lead team to work with you in executing corporate partnerships goals
- Build and manage comprehensive database of potential targets
- Work collaboratively with the team, in particular with our Director, Client Partnerships, to deliver a range of sponsorship opportunities for our clients
- As part of the leadership team of our company, help build our overall business by partnering with other members of our leadership team, and collaborating with our board
- Help to build our newly launched brand, and represent and act as an ambassador for our company
What you’ll need to succeed
- 7-10+ years experience in a sales or business development role in a media, technology or marketing company
- Demonstrated ability to close business with companies
- Creative, strategic thinker that listens well to customers’ needs and develops initiatives to meet their needs
- Organized and process-driven
- Passionate about our mission
- Partner well with peers in leadership roles
- A leader willing to roll up your sleeves
- A team player
We’re especially interested in candidates who have
- The ability to juggle strategic thinking and hands-on tactical work
- Excellent communication skills
- A love of local news
We offer a competitive salary, a health plan, four weeks of paid leave and a 401(k) match.
Cityside is committed to hiring a diverse staff from a wide variety of backgrounds. We are an equal opportunity employer.